It’s so easy for dogs to sneak food they shouldn’t have, and it’s something we have all had to face as pet owners.
In my house, it’s the kids feeding the dog under the table, or the dog simply getting on the table to finish the kid’s food (sounds familiar right?).
So the question is, can dogs eat grapes?
No, they definitely can’t. Grapes and raisins are both off-limits for dogs. If your furry friend does happen to eat either of these fruits, it’s important to contact your vet right away.
If you suspect they have eaten either grapes or raisins, keep an eye on your dog for any signs of illness, such as vomiting or diarrhoea. If you notice any changes in your dog’s health, give your vet a call immediately.
Read our guide to learn more about what to do if your dog has managed to sneak this forbidden snack.
Why Are Grapes And Raisins Toxic To Dogs?
There is a compound in grapes and raisins called aristolochic acid, and this is the reason why they are toxic to our furry friends. This substance is known to cause kidney failure in dogs.
It’s worth noting that not all dogs will have the same reaction to grapes and raisins.
Some may be more sensitive than others, and may only need to eat a small amount of the fruit before becoming ill. The size of the dog can also determine how sick they will become as, typically, larger dogs will have to ingest more and smaller dogs less.
So it’s important if dogs eat grapes, even in small amounts, to get professional help right away.
What Are The Symptoms Of Grapes Or Raisins Poisoning In Dogs?
If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, watch out for the following symptoms:
- Vomiting – Within a few hours
- Abdominal pain – (tender when touched)
- Lack of appetite – (not touching other dog food)
- Lethargy – (tiredness/weakness – even appetite lethargy is a problem)
- Sudden Kidney failure – (may not show any symptoms until it’s too late) acute kidney failure can be fatal.
- Increased thirst – and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
- Dehydration – Signs of dehydration in dogs include: Sunken eyes, panting, a dry nose and mouth, and pale gums. One method to determine if your dog is dehydrated is to pull up on the skin at the rear of his neck gently. It should spring back right away.
- Trouble Breathing – If your dog is having trouble breathing, this is an emergency and you should call your vet or take him to the nearest animal hospital immediately.
If your dog shows any of these symptoms after consuming grapes or raisins, it’s important to contact your vet right away.
Can Dogs Die From Eating Grapes Or Raisins?
Unfortunately, yes. If dogs eat grapes and they are left untreated, grape or raisin poisoning can be fatal. That’s why it’s so important to seek professional veterinary help if you think your dog has eaten either of these fruits.
Treatment For Grape Poisoning In Dogs (inc Raisins)
If you think your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, the first thing you should do as a pet owner is to contact your veterinarian or an emergency vet.
From there, your vet will induce vomiting in your dog (if they haven’t already vomited on their own). This will help to remove as much of the grape or raisin from their system as possible.
After that, your dog will likely be given IV fluids to help flush the toxins from its system and prevent dehydration. In some cases, your dog may also be given medication to help protect its kidneys from further damage.
The bottom line is that grapes and raisins are not safe for dogs, and can even be fatal if ingested. If you think your dog has eaten either of these fruits, please contact your vet right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a Single Grape Kill a Dog?
It’s unlikely that a single grape would kill a dog. However, it’s important to keep in mind that every dog is different and some may be more sensitive to the toxins in grapes than others.
In general, the larger the dog, the more grapes they would need to eat before becoming ill.
Can Dogs Eat Grape Seeds?
No way, dogs should not eat grape seeds. Grape seeds contain a compound called amygdalin, which is toxic to dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Grape Juice?
Nope, dogs should not drink grape juice. Grape juice contains high levels of sugar, which can be harmful to dogs.
In addition, grape juice may also contain small amounts of amygdalin, which as we mentioned before, grape toxicity is very serious for dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Green Grapes?
No way, dogs should not eat green grapes. Green grapes contain a compound called amygdalin, which is toxic to dogs, even dried grapes are the same toxic substance.
Can Dogs Eat Red Grapes?
Nope, dogs should not eat red grapes. Red grapes contain a compound called amygdalin, which is toxic to dogs and causes grape poisoning.
Grapes and raisins are both off-limits for dogs. If your furry friend does happen to eat either of these fruits, it’s important to contact your vet right away as even a few grapes can be fatal.
If you think they might have eaten them, keep an eye on your dog for any signs of illness such as vomiting or diarrhoea. If you notice any changes in your dog’s health, call your vet immediately.
Did you find the information here helpful and interesting? We have a whole collection of guides that take you through canine care – everything from foods that are dangerous to training and grooming advice. Check them out.
For over a decade, Adrienne has been a freelance content writer and blogger who’s passion lies in anything related to dogs. Growing up, dogs were a very important part of family life in the Hardwick household. Now, Adrienne is the proud parent to two Swedish Vallhunds called Moose and Pumpkin.